Who can blame them? Quintana Roo Mexico is gorgeous!
Quintana Roo, Mexico has been named the preferred destination for US travellers in 2023. As someone who regularly travels to Mexico, specifically Quintana Roo, I can see why. I absolutely love this area! The Mayan Riviera part of Mexico is not only stunning but full of friendly people as well.
I have written numerous blog posts about Mexico and share Americans’ affinity for the country, specifically Quintana Roo. I often vacation in Playa del Carmen and its surrounding areas.
Fun facts about Quintana Roo Mexico:
- Quintana Roo receives 4 out of every 10 air travellers from the United States to Mexico.
- U.S. travellers accounted for 37.8% of visitors to the state.
- Out of nearly 8.3 million total passengers, 3.1 million were Americans.
What is Quintana Roo?
It’s not so much a what as it is a where. The Mexican state of Quintana Roo is known for its internationally renowned tourist destinations such as Cancun, Playa del Carmen, Tulum, Cozumel, and Holbox.
Quintana Roo Mexico continues to lead in the preference of travellers from all over the world, especially those from the United States.
This is attributed to a comprehensive offering that combines the finest Caribbean beaches, the enchantment of Mayan culture, and quality customer service focused on providing the best tourist experience, among many other aspects.
The busy airport in Quintana Roo
During the first half of 2023, Quintana Roo received more than 3.1 million U.S. tourists who arrived through all airports in the state. This means an increase of 39.52% compared to the same period in 2019 when the figure was over 2.2 million visitors from that country and 4.9% above 2022.
Quintana Roo has direct flights to 39 U.S. cities, which generated 3.8 million available airline seats during the first-semester connectivity.
This represents that Quintana Roo, in its three current airports, is capturing 5.2% of the connectivity generated by the U.S. market to the world, making Cancun the second most crucial airport worldwide for the U.S. market.
This behaviour confirms the relevance of this market for tourism in Quintana Roo since, between January and June 2023, the United States represented 37.8% of the total number of travellers, being the primary market for the state.
International visitors to Quintana Roo Mexico
The total percentage of international visitors was 67.3%, representing more than 5.4 million people. The total number of domestic and foreign tourists was close to 8.3 million.
Mexico continues to be one of the favourite tourist destinations for travellers from the United States. According to the Quintana Roo Tourism Promotion Council analysis, based on data from the National Institute of Migration, during the first half of 2023, more than 7.5 million travellers were reported bound for Mexico by air.
This represents an increase of 27.1% over 2019. Of this total, 3.1 million arrived in Quintana Roo, making the state a favourite for this international market.
Quintana Roo travel stats for 2023
Other interesting figures during the first half of 2023:
- The top 5 travellers by country of origin to Quintana Roo headed the United States with 1 million, Canada not far behind with 810 thousand, the United Kingdom with 173 thousand, Colombia with 164 thousand, and France with 107 thousand people who arrived at an airport in the state.
- Total passenger growth (Mexican and international) of 0% compared to 2019 and 12.5% vs. 2022.
- The hotel occupancy remained at an average of 27%, showing an eight percentage points increase compared to 2022.
- International tourism increased by 7% compared to pre-pandemic figures (2019).
- Domestic tourism increased by 4% over 2019.
- Visitors travel as a couple 46%, as a family 40%, as an individual 5% and with friends 9%.
- Nearly 10% stay in at least two destinations during their stay.
Have you been? I’d love to know your thoughts.
Related posts about Mexico you may enjoy:
- 15 AWESOME COOL THINGS TO DO IN TULUM, MEXICO
- 10 HELPFUL TIPS FOR VISITING CENOTES IN MEXICO
- THE BEST SNORKELING IN TULUM – PRISTINE REEFS AND EPIC CENOTES
- HOTEL RIU YUCATAN – REVIEW OF THIS BEAUTIFUL ALL-INCLUSIVE RESORT 2023
- HELPFUL TULUM TRAVEL TIPS TO KNOW BEFORE YOU GO
- National Institute of Migration and Civil Aeronautics
- SEDETUR, Quintana Roo Tourism Promotion Council
- S International Air Travel Statistics